Buying & Importing Cars · Car Care & Maintenance · Featured Articles · News & Events · The African Autos · The Best...
What Is Cruise Control? What Does It Do and What Are Its Benefits?
Also known as speed control or automatic cruise, Cruise control is a car system that automatically controls the speed of a motor vehicle while at the same time providing the braking effect, when needed. The system is now common in new cars and it works by taking over the throttle of the car to maintain a steady speed as set by the driver.
Need to know how the system works? Then, here is an outline on how to operate it.
- Once you are on the road, drive till the car attains 65kph or 40 mph to enable the cruise control activate.
- Activate the cruise control button or a toggle existing on the steering wheel or on the levers on the steering. This is done while holding your foot steadily on the gas pedal so that the 65kph is maintained.
- While still on the gas pedal, press the cruise on/off and the button labeled as Set Coast or just coast and the cruise is set. This reduces the engines revolutions per minute.
- A cruise light in the gauge pod will then tell when the cruise control is functioning.
- Hitting the brakes while still on the cruise control will automatically deactivate it hence driving manually.
There are several benefits accruing from the use of the Cruise Control in cars which include the following;
The cruise is fitted with a computer that helps in regulating the amount of air reaching the engine. Once the desired speed is set, the computer hastens to the set speed and maintaining the speed of the car.
This helps reduce instances of brake application in the car and the much to speed up. This steady rate as set maximizes the distance covered by the car per gallon, hence saving on more gas.
Some countries may set cheaper costs in price of gas if the driver maintains the speed limit. The cruise control helps set the speed rate at its limit as dictated by a country’s laws. Exceeding the speed limit may attract an increase in the cost of gas per mile over the speed limit.
Moreover, the increased miles per gallon of gas used help in reducing the costs associated with buying more gas for the vehicle.
Comfortable to Use
The control cruise system gives the drivers with a chance to reset and organize their legs. This is enhanced by the steady speed rate set and therefore the need to use the gas and brake pads is minimized.