Vehicle headlights are very important especially when it is too dark or too foggy to drive. For this reason, it is crucial that you keep the headlights of your vehicle functioning well. This simply means that you should replace any broken or burned out headlight to ensure that you can drive well when natural light is not sufficient. Most people depend on mechanics and other professionals in the automotive industry to help them replace malfunctioning headlights. What they do not know is that the process of changing a Toyota Corolla’s headlights is an easy affair and can be handled by anyone as long as they have the right information.
So, if your Toyota Corolla headlights are going dim or you have been in a minor accident and got your headlights broken and can’t wait for a professional to do it you can use the information provided for a quick fix. Below is a step by step guide that will assist anyone interested in changing the headlights of their Toyota Corolla.
Guide on changing Toyota Corolla headlights
Prior to commencing the changing of the headlights, ensure that the front of your Corolla is in a well lit area and that you have enough time to handle the change. Working in dim light can lead to a shoddy job and that is something you do not want when working with lights. Always remember to wear gloves as skin oil can compromise the life of the lights.
- The first step is to locate the housing that holds the headlights
- You should then find any coverings or braces that might be preventing the access to the rear of the headlight assembly. When you find them, remove them taking care not to break them.
- Look for the wires that feed into the back of the assembly. In most cases you will feel the bulb’s plastic housing.
- In most types of housing, there will be a plastic tab that you can grasp and turn to free the bulb.
- After removing the bulb, you can carefully match the new bulb with the slots you see where the old one was. Also ensure that the bulb is of the same make to prevent any complications with lighting.
- Once the bulb is tight in place, insert the housing back and twist the bulb to tightly hold it in.
- After the replacement is completed and before you put back any braces or coverings ensure that the bulb is properly working in both dim and full light mode.
After replacing the headlights, it is important that you do all the tests that will ensure the lights will be providing the required lighting when driving and not causing any discomfort for oncoming drivers. There is an alignment test that you can use to ensure that your vehicle’s headlights have been installed properly. You do not have to get stranded when your Toyota Corolla’s headlights are not working; you can simply follow the guide above and have them working in a short time.