The automotive industry offers a wide range of careers from electronics, mechanics, services such as driving, car wash, spare parts, paint jobs, tire repair among many others. Well, one important career is automotive engineering. If you are interested in the creation and the shaping of emerging technology in the automotive industry through making everything cleaner, better, faster and more efficient, then the best career is becoming an automotive engineer. This career has a wide range of areas that you can specialize in and it all depends with your interests.
Research and Development – This is an important area for finding solutions to different engineering problems and implementing them.
Design – This involves designing new products entirely or the improvement of existing products.
Production – This is the process of designing, planning and producing different products.
Automotive engineers are required to have different skills that will enable them handle the many different tasks in this field. Let us look at some of the tasks engineers in the automotive industry get involved in:
- Using innovative and conventional method to develop and test procedures for safety and efficiency.
- Project management involvement and creating new products to solve different problems in the market.
- Answering different automotive questions through analysis and interpretation of technical data.
- Working independently to create solutions that are part of a larger project handled by a larger team.
- Managing different aspects of projects including determining and managing the cost of the projects.
- Identifying the advantages of the developments in automotive engineering for purposes of developing effective marketing strategies as well as securing internal funding.
- Negotiation of development costs and works in engineering with the commercial departments in the company or the industry.
- Monitoring the final products to identify any issues that may arise in the use.
- Depending on the specific role, the automotive engineer can have the responsibility of overseeing the technical staff and engineers while they work on a development or designing project.
- Being part of international, or cross functional teams working to design experiments that are used in testing the competence and validity of new technology in the automotive industry.
- Using computer software in the anticipation of component or vehicle behavior in different situation so as to determine the efficiency of the component or the vehicle.
Just like in many other careers, you will have to start as an automotive engineer in technology and with further studies and experience, you will go up the ladder and be a supervisor, a manager or a CEO. Most bosses in this industry have a background in automotive engineering technology. The most important thing in this and in any other career is to have passion for what you do. They say that if you love your work, or do what you love; you will never have to work a single day in your life. To be successful in this industry, you will need to fall in love with all the different concepts and the old and new technologies in the transportation and mobility industry.