Have you ever heard of the phrase ‘The law is an ass’? Well, legislating road rules is one thing and legislating useful road rules is another. You can agree with the fact that some of the road rules across the world are very ridiculous and they may have lost their applicability. In Africa, the case is even worse because you will find some ridiculous road signs. Look at some of them here and you will understand that indeed, laughing is the first reaction in Africa.
Look at the list of crazy road rules here:
- A road rule in New Britain provides that it is against the law for fire trucks to exceed a speed of 25km per hour even when going to a fire. You may wonder the essence of putting out the fire if the fire truck cannot arrive at the scene in the shortest time possible.
- An Illinois state law requires that you contact the police before entering the city with an automobile. It will be interesting to know if there is any person actually doing so in this state!
- The Iowa state law says that the fire department is to practice fire fighting for at least fifteen minutes before attacking the fire. The question that begs an answer is; do they really have time for that?
- A Sarasota law provides that in case you hit a pedestrian, you are to pay a $78 penalty. However, one wonders whether this equates human life to only $78.
- A law applicable to persons in Denver provides that you cannot drive a black car on Sunday. One is left wondering what the color of a car has to do with a day of the week!
- Persons in Crete are prohibited from driving cars through the town.
- In Lawrence, in the state of Kansas, a law provides that all cars entering the city must first sound their honks to alert horses of their entry.
- Riding on the roof of a taxicab is illegal. It is applicable to residents of Youngstown in the state of Ohio.
- Molesting an automobile is against the law. This law is applicable to persons in Clinton in the Oklahoma state.
- It is illegal to drive a motor vehicle down Broadway before noon on Sundays! This is applicable to persons in Galveston, Texas state.
Another set of rules
- A Tremonton law in Utah provides that it is against the law to copulate in a moving ambulance. If caught, the woman is punished and her name published in a newspaper while the man is left scot-free.
- It is illegal to drive when not wearing shoes. However, this stated law of Virginia was later repealed.
- Another law in Australia prohibits walking on the right hand side of a footpath.
- A road rule in Beijing provides that drivers of power-driven vehicles who stop at pedestrian crossing to be warned or be liable to a fine.
- Another one in Thailand forewarns against wearing a shirt while driving a car.
- In South Korea, traffic police officers are required to report about all bribes they receive from motorists!
- In Luxembourg, you are required to sound a horn every time you overtake any vehicle, even a bicycle. However, it was repealed in 2000.
- In Canada, the provincial law of New Brunswick prohibits against driving on the roads.
- In Milford, Massachusetts, it is against the law to peep through the windows of automobiles.
- The California state law provides that no vehicle without a driver may exceed the speed limit of 60 miles per hour.
You may or may not attest that all these road rules are as ridiculous as they are funny. However, I will leave you to be your own judge for that.