Japan is the largest exporter of used vehicles to Africa. Her unclear lead in the content has remained unbeaten for many decades, and it will remain so. However,when two Japanese manufacturers have to scarmble for the same market, the result is two products that are almost similar in looks and performance. In the automotive industry, this happens a lot and it boils down to the end user, who decides which brand they will buy by comparing the qualities. Well, there is a war between two major pick-up trucks Isuzu DMax and Toyota’s Hilux, though many battles have been won by each vehicle. The competition is far from over especially with the manufacturer’s bringing in new models to stay on top of their game. To better decide which one is better for the African market, let us look at the qualities in both:
The new Hilux is a combination of performance, looks and a competitive price tag. When it was unveiled, even the competitors were shocked. We can give it to Toyota for creating such a smooth curvy machine that hides a powerful engine beneath the attractive hood.
Hilux takes a few points in looks as for a truck its caliber; it sure looks attractive and well designed. The vehicle has hunky proportions, a hood scoop, and large pentagonal headlights to complete the beauty section.
- On the interior, the sitting is quite comfortable especially the rear bench.
- On the seats, the Hilux lacks on the back and thigh support, thus not so comfortable for drives more than 2 hours
- The dashboard is quite large and thus presents challenges when shifting to 4-wheel drive and when reaching for ventilation.
- Another win is the machine under the hood. The Hilux has the D-4D engine which provides 160 horsepower a strong 30 above the DMax.
- Albeit both vehicles were noisy with the common diesel engine clutter, the Hilux faired better with the smooth mid-range rpm tone.
With a name like this, the DMax is bound to be a well performing vehicle in terms of duty and load handling. There are features that put this truck on top of Hilux but some just grab the points right out of its hood.
- In terms of looks, DMax has a blocky appearance that is unsophisticated. The inside also has the same story which is a loss for this truck in this category.
- The interior, though square and with not much to write home about in terms of looks, hides quite a number of great features such as the comfortable seats with lower back and thigh support making it ideal for long drives.
- Though the dashboard on the DMax is not appealing to the eye, it makes perfect sense when it comes to practical driving and convenience. The only negative is that the vehicle lacks a dead pedal or foot rest.
- Though with a great engine, the DMax’s 130 horsepower puts it behind the Hilux which leads with 160.
- When it comes to load, both have their advantages with the DMax being a better hauler and the Hilux having a roomier back bench that folds well and includes storage cabins for tools.
- Both these vehicles have their strong and weak points and it is up to the buyer to decide which one works best for the purpose they intent to purchase the pick-up truck for.